Monday, October 14, 2013

10/14...the essentials for trip - the ipad

besides me (and my passport), Leben and Erde, and the Defender, there was really only one other irreplaceable part of the trip, and that was my Ipad. two years ago, when i first got my iPad, i added a rule that said "Do not let the iPad get in the way.". despite my hopes to the contrary, for better or worse, it is now an indispensable or critical part of these trips. perhaps the main reason for this is that i upload all my photos to the iPad and have no other place i store them until i get home. i guess i can go to a cloud storage, but i have not.

the test for the iPad's place came on the Denali Highway when i slipped and fell as I was coming down a steep slope after taking a photo with the ipad. instead of trying to minimize injury to me, i immediately sought to protect the ipad, and did. as it turns out, whatever position i landed in to protect the ipad also prevented any damage to me, and i did not have an app for that.

certainly there are other things i take on these trios that are critical, essential, etc., e.g., the tent, my pipe, etc., although all of these are replaceable, maybe not right away, but replaceable nevertheless, as is even the Defender, albeit reluctantly. but now that i know that the ipad has become so indispensable (for more than just the photos), i need to reduce its indispensability, especially but not only for the photos. frankly, i surprised Erde did not destroy it during the trip as every time i left the Defender, she would climb over the console to get to my seat, where she would stick her head out the window and watch for me. but in the process, she would step on the iPad on the console, which i always forget to move.

in 2000, when i took my first road trip, i took no cell phone, no sat phone, or no ipad and the trip work out just fine. now, i would not take a trip without them. i still need to assess if it is worth it, but until i do, they come with .

2 comments:

  1. Greetings Ed

    What a wonderful journey you, Leben and Erdie have just finished! You may recall I met you at the Market Street Cafe in Port Hardy and have been following your progress since then. So glad to read that you all made it safely home. Will there be an OTR7?

    With respect to the cloud... After much research and with some reluctance I've recently begun using "Drop Box" for a central data storage and backup for my i-pad, home computer and smart phone. Essentially anything that's on one unit is accessible to all units. Now after several months of using this free cloud storage I wouldn't be without it!

    Paul Getman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Paul. I will have to do something. As for OTR7, there will be one for sure, probably next year. What it will look like I do knot know. But I added that to my ToDo list.

    ReplyDelete