Thursday, October 17, 2013

10/17 Erde

Dr. Breheme, the surgeon at the animal hospital, called me last evening to tell me that his preliminary review of Erde's CAT scan indicated that surgery would be the recommended treatment for her cancer, and not radiation or chemotheraphy.  In a sense, that is good news because it means that the tumor is definable and not invassive upward to the nasal passage where surgery would be impossible.  The downside is that the maxillectomy, which the surgery is called, will disfigure the left side of Erde's snout.   No big deal.  With a 100 percent chance of success going two years out, I'd way more prefer an Erde with a "funny face" two years out than an Erde who is suffering, or no Erde ar all.  That girl showed me on this trip that she might have a lot more life in her and that she loves life, so I have a responsibility to let her have it, without suffering.

I am waiting now for the call from the vet hospital for the final report and to schedule the surgery, which could be as early as tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment